We are accustomed to think that an apple a day keeps the doctor away, and numerous research has encountered supporting facts for this so-true belief. Apple can be found easily; it is affordable and beneficial for our entire health. Many people find this fruit has a significant role in lowering cholesterol level and thus, prevent various heart and cardiovascular diseases, other than controlling body weight.
The roles of apples in cholesterol lowering
Apples are said to be a good aid for the heart. Studies state that a year of regular apple consumption contributes to lower cholesterol level, which is good for the heart and our entire health. Many people have been using statins for lowering cholesterol level. However, some experience problems with their liver along with statin consumption. Since in our body cholesterol is produced in the liver, this part of the body is an organ which is highly influenced by statins. Most commonly, this medication inhibits cholesterol synthesis in the liver by blocking an enzyme required for cholesterol making by the body. As a result, people find their cholesterol level decreases, which is expected from the use of statins. Despite this beneficial effect, statins can be hard on the liver itself, that it requires those taking them to get their blood tested regularly.
As a more natural substitution to statins, apples are now widely advised for cholesterol lowering purpose. There are some roles of apples in lowering cholesterol level in our bloodstream, including:
- Apples are rich in soluble fiber called pectin. This soluble fiber makes your stomach feel fuller faster, and as a result, apple consumptions gives a significant contribution to weight loss, as it cut down the consumption of some other foods you might crave for. Keeping the weight under control also contributes to cholesterol lowering, which is important in preventing cardiovascular diseases.
- Since the apples are rich in fiber, it has a role of performing proper digestion and keep constipation away.
- Regular consumption of one to two apples a day for at least 6 months decrease the level of the LDL—known as the “bad cholesterol” that may cause the hardening and thickening of the arteries. Some research have confirmed a significant decreased amount of LDL by 23% is observed, and this is significant in heart disease prevention plan.
- People consuming apples in daily basis are also known to increase the level of HDL—the good cholesterol by 4%. Increasing amount of HDL contributes to lower amount of cholesterol and triglycerides in the bloodstream.
- Polyphenols—the antioxidant compounds found in apples and apple juice help inhibiting the oxidation of LDL. Decreased LDL oxidation reduces the risk of cholesterol build up in the arteries, which lessens the possibility of narrowed arteries. These substances are also helpful for preventing cellular damage from free radicals.
How many apples is beneficial for cholesterol lowering
In order to lower cholesterol level in our blood stream, you can either lower the level of the LDL—the bad cholesterol, or increase the number of HDL—the good cholesterol. Consuming apples is one of the most natural methods compared to manufactured cholesterol-lowering medications. Some tips on consuming apples for cholesterol lowering are as follow:
- An apple a day should be enough for keeping your weight controlled. Two apples a day or an apple for each meal should be beneficial in lowering your cholesterol level.
- Eating apples without peeling the skin is advised, as most of the beneficial substances, including the polyphenols is contained by the apple skin. Make sure you have washed the apple thoroughly before eating it to prevent any harmful pesticides leftover.
- It is best to eat apples an hour prior to each of your meal. This will encourage proper metabolism in the stomach and intestines, so that they are able to absorb beneficial substances from your meals more effectively.
- You can eat the apples raw or juice it. However, avoid adding some sugar when making an apple juice to get the maximum health benefits. Although might not cause any major effects, it is better to give an interval between consuming your medications and the apples. Eating one as your early breakfast is recommended.